This recipe was so well-loved by meat-eaters in our family that our daughter-in-love chose it as an option at her wedding dinner. We recently discovered that “Just Egg” and nutritional yeast make it just as delicious plant-based.
Ready in 90 minutes, or less if your crust is ready ahead
Serves 6-8 people
Source: Adapted from Recipes for a Small Planet by Ellen Buchman Ewald
- 2 tbsp plant-based margarine
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 small can tomato paste
- Pinch of thyme
- Dash of salt
- 1 bottle "Just Egg"(plant-based)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup plant-based “butter”
- 1/4 cup water
- Prepare the pie crust by mixing flour and “butter” with a fork till the “butter” is in pea-sized lumps, then stir in the water, knead the dough into a ball, roll it out with a rolling pin on a flour-covered board then transfer it to a pie plate . Or purchase a crust.
- Melt the plant-based margarine in a frying pan and sauté the onions until they are transparent and very soft. Add the thyme, salt and tomato paste. Mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Combine "Just Egg", nutritional yeast, grated vegan cheese, and the cooled tomato mixture in a bowl.
- Empty the mixture into the unbaked pie crust and spread it evenly.
- Bake at 350°for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover gently with foil if it begins to brown too much in the last 10 minutes.
Need the recipe PDF? Click here!