This is delicious for breakfast, lunch or supper. Persian cooks know that cinnamon is not just for desserts!
Ready in 60-75 minutes.
Serves 6 people
Source: Adapted from In a Persian Kitchen by Maideh Mazda
- 4 tbsp plant-based “butter”
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp, lemon juice
- 1 large potato
- Cherry tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bottle "Just Egg"(plant-based)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Melt plant-based “butter” in a skillet and sauté the onions until they are golden.
- Remove onions from the pan. Put them in a bowl with the lemon juice and let stand.
- Slice the potatoes 1/4"thick. Then rinse them well in cold water.
- Fry the potatoes in the same skillet in which the onions were sautéed. Fry them until they are golden.
- Either arrange the tomato slices over the potatoes and add onions which have been soaked in lemon juice, then add salt & pepper. Or save the cherry tomatoes to arrange on top of the “egg” in step #7.
- Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Mix the "Just Egg" with salt and cinnamon. Pour over the potatoes and the rest. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise and arrange them on top–if you didn’t already add tomato slices in step #5.
- Cover and let cook on a low heat for another 10 minutes or until the “egg” is firm.
Serve with flatbread, like naan or pita.
Need the recipe PDF? Click here!